Skopelos inhabited since prehistoric times. The island in ancient times was known as Peparithos had developed – as shown by archaeological – findings of a remarkable civilization.
On the island except Peparithos, flourished two other cities. Or celery, which was built in the area now lies Loutraki Language and Panormos, whose ruins stand near the homonymous cove on the south coast. Panormos captured in 361 BC the tyrant of Feres, Alexander, and then besieged by the Athenians.
The first inhabitants were Stafylos, son of Dionysus and Ariadne. The name has a bay south of the island. In this region, the Bay of grapes, excavations uncovered the remains of an ancient building believed to belong to the palace of the legendary Stafylos the first settler and king of the island, which according to tradition had relations with Minoan Crete. This is illustrated by rich grave goods discovered in the royal tomb found in the area. The findings of this tomb attributed to King Stafilos, dating from 16th BC century seems to have been Minoan. Among them: gold jewelry, pottery, weapons and a royal sword with gold decoration is said to have belonged to Stafilos.
The name of Skopelos, the island took the Hellenistic period. The Roman period in Skopelos martyred bishop of Saint Riginos, who was the first bishop of the island.
In Byzantine times was a place of exile. In 1204 it passed to the Venetians. The dominance did not last long. Some time later the Byzantine Emperor Michael VIII Palaeologus managed to conquer the island again. In 1453, Skopelos passes for once the sovereignty of the Venetians. In 1538, the Turks occupied the island, plundering and slaughtering all the inhabitants. During the 17th century the island was abandoned for many decades. In the late 17th and early 18th century life returned to Skopelos. In 1821 it was revolutionary center.
In 1832 gained her freedom, like all the islands of the Sporades, and joined Greece. After the sacking of the Barbarossa in 1538, ypodilothike by the Turks, the sovereignty of which remained until 1830, when united with Greece, which had just opened